Re: Complicated installation from USB

This kind of usability feedback is very precious to continuous effort of
'world domination' :)

We all know that with current manpower not all can be addressed but this
can be discussed for Squeeze+1 (Wheezy) if someone care to work on this.
For now it is worth:

- being documented in the BTS as a wishlist bug against debian-installer.
- continue to develop the idea from current d-i code.

Care to work on this?

On 09-09-2010 11:43, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

> Could we consider providing ready-to-use hd-media images? Something that
> would only need to be downloaded an written to a USB stick, as we do for
> optical media? I see two ways to implement that:
> * doing the copy of the CD image on the hd-media filesystem before
>   making it available as an image;
> * using the recent hybrid boot feature of SYSLINUX, that allow to build
>   single images that are bootable either as El Torito optical media
>   or as MBR on-optical media, if applicable to the Debian installer.
>
> If there are specific reasons not to provide ready-to-use, but only
> pieces of hd-media images, as we currently do, these reasons might be
> worth being documented in the installation manual with a note such as:
> “Note: this procedure is not as easy as the CD one, because [blah].”
> That would avoid further messages such as this very one. :-)

[...]

--

Melhores cumprimentos/Best regards,

Miguel Figueiredo