Re: Activating t-p-u by default (was: Re: For those who care about their packages in Debian)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org):
>
>> > Hmhm, out of curiosity, why is t-p-u “way riskier”.
>>
>> Mostly because there isn't any large pool of systems using t-p-u the way
>> there is for unstable, so the aging process where we get testing in
>> unstable before migrating the package never happens.  This means uploads
>
> I wonder whether we (in D-I) could add t-p-u to the list of proposed
> repositories when users install testing. We already propose security
> and volatile (defaulting to both added): the same mechanism could be
> made for t-p-u when users install testing.

Sounds like a good idea to me. When they reject t-p-u you could either
add it commented out or with pinning such that it is not selected by
default but when packages from it are selected then they are kept
upgraded within it until the packages migrate to testing itself. AFAIK
to achieve that you need pinning priorities > 500 and < 1000.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise