Re: Thoughts about network-console

Hi,
> > Then, an untrustworthy colleague goes to the computer, and just
> > reads /var/lib/cdebconf/questions.dat: installer's password is there,
> > plain, clear text.
>
> Did you actually check this? The password templates are of type 'password'
> and thus the value should be in /var/lib/cdebconf/passwords.dat (and thus
> encoded) instead of in plain text in questions.dat.

Well, you can still db_get the password, can't you?

> Also, if you look at the postinst script for network-console, you'll see
> that the template already *is* cleared after the password is asked.

Oh, my bad, you're right.
I've actually read it, but for some reason, I overlooked the exact thing
I was searching for...

> The only case in which AFAICT what you describe can be true is when the
> template is preseeded [1] while the network-console component is not yet
> loaded (because then the template could be created as a regular template
> instead of as a password one). As preseeding passwords in itself already
> lowers security, I don't really think this is an important bug.
>
> Please verify that you really do see readable passwords and describe the
> exact scenario (architecture / image / installation method used) in which
> you do.

As said earlier, I was, for some reason, sure that the postinst script
didn't clear the passwords...
So, please ignore this first "issue", as it wasn't here in the first
place.

Regards,
Thibaut Girka.