Re: Which module should one use for sound on pmacs? (was: Re: debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde, 7/26/10)

Excerpts from Rogério Brito's message of Don Jul 29 14:29:04 -0400 2010:
> Hi, Johannes.
>
> First of all, thank you very much for your really appreciated message.
>
> On Jul 29 2010, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > The old way was to just load snd-powermac on Macs, and then have it do
> > nothing.  That's wasteful in a sense, but it doesn't hurt.
>
> OK. Thanks for clarifying.
>
> > There's no auto-loading built into snd-powermac, and the way I see it
> > there's no chance there ever will be since nobody even cared years ago
> > when I worked on this stuff.
>
> Nice. BTW, would writing an auto-loading part be hard for a kernel-illiterate?
>
> > snd-powermac will not work on machines where snd-aoa works, they're
> > mutually exclusive but some older machines need snd-powermac, which,
> > unfortunately, cannot load automatically.
>
> Yes, indeed. The iBook that I have here needs it.
>
> > I suppose one way would be to load snd-powermac only when snd-aoa
> > didn't auto-load?
>
> Right. The way that things are currently is that snd-aoa is "force fed"
> and causes some machines to not have any kind of sound.

I heard this claim so many times without much more information, that I
think we should now really try to track down the problem.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "force fed"?

AFAICS this problem is different from the problem that there is no
autoloading support for snd-powermac. If snd-aoa is automatically
loaded on any machine that it does not support there is a bug
somewhere. We need to find out where and for that we need someone who
actually experiences the problem on his machine to track down why
exactly it is autoloaded.

Can you please provide more information about this or point to a
message where you already sent this information.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.