Re: Which module should one use for sound on pmacs? (was: Re: debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde, 7/26/10)

Hi, Johannes.

First of all, thank you very much for your really appreciated message.

On Jul 29 2010, Johannes Berg wrote:
> The old way was to just load snd-powermac on Macs, and then have it do
> nothing.  That's wasteful in a sense, but it doesn't hurt.

OK. Thanks for clarifying.

> There's no auto-loading built into snd-powermac, and the way I see it
> there's no chance there ever will be since nobody even cared years ago
> when I worked on this stuff.

Nice. BTW, would writing an auto-loading part be hard for a kernel-illiterate?

> snd-powermac will not work on machines where snd-aoa works, they're
> mutually exclusive but some older machines need snd-powermac, which,
> unfortunately, cannot load automatically.

Yes, indeed. The iBook that I have here needs it.

> I suppose one way would be to load snd-powermac only when snd-aoa
> didn't auto-load?

Right. The way that things are currently is that snd-aoa is "force fed"
and causes some machines to not have any kind of sound.

Otavio, who should we talk to to get it working this way for the
upcoming release?

Thanks for your input,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8