Re: Multi-arch netinst getting too big

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:00:38AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>(dropped powerpc for this subthread)
>
>On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 01:09 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>> >Do you have any idea where perl (not perl-base) comes from? python
>> > (not python-minimal) doesn't seem to be in the base system but is on
>> > the CD as well. Similarly nothing seems to pull in binutils or
>> > doc-linux-text deliberately. (I'm picking on these packages because
>> > they are the largest components under pool/main/*)
>>
>> Hmmm. At the very least, debconf needs perl-base. linux-base then
>> pulls in the main perl package later (via libapt-pkg-perl).
>
>I think you mean via libuuid-perl?

Ah, yes.

>  Looking at adding libuuid-perl to satisfy dep
>    libuuid-perl Dep: ( OR perl-base )
>    libuuid-perl Dep: perl
>    libuuid-perl Dep: libc6
>    libuuid-perl Dep: libuuid1
>    linux-base Dep: ( OR debconf cdebconf cdebconf-udeb debconf )
>    linux-base Dep: ( OR util-linux udev )
>    linux-image-2.6.32-5-486 Dep: ( OR initramfs-tools dracut initramfs-tools )
>    linux-image-2.6.32-5-486 Dep: ( OR debconf cdebconf cdebconf-udeb debconf )
>  Looking at adding libapt-pkg-perl to satisfy dep
>    libapt-pkg-perl Dep: perl-base
>    libapt-pkg-perl Dep: ( OR perl-base )
>    libapt-pkg-perl Dep: ( OR apt )
>    libapt-pkg-perl Dep: libc6
>    libapt-pkg-perl Dep: libgcc1
>    libapt-pkg-perl Dep: libstdc++6
>
>I don't think libuuid-perl really needs perl and I have filed #588427 to
>that effect.

Cool.

>>  As for
>> python, I'm not seeing that on the current m-a netinst CD. We then
>> have linux-headers-$foo -> gcc-4.3 -> binutils.
>
>Ah, I didn't think to check transitive dependencies.
>
>I was wondering why linux-headers were on the CD in the first place and
>find that tools/generate_di+k_list says:
>        /* Note that we do not have to include every optimised kernel flavor for
>         * i386, but this does control what kernels are available on the netinst CD.
>         * Kernel headers are included as third party modules are commonly
>         * used on this architecture.
>         */
>so it's only for amd64 and i386 but it is on all ISO images. Could we
>consider making this only for certain image types? It would save 10M.

Yes we could, but I don't see it as such an issue elsewhere. It's the
m-a netinst CD I'm really trying to cut down as a priority.

>> I don't see doc-linux-text in the log either.
>
>There was a popcon update in debian-cd SVN recently -- does that effect
>this sort of thing?

It shouldn't affect netinsts, no - the popcon numbers only affect
ordering of packages that come after the tasks.

>All I see in my logs are
>        + Trying to add doc-linux-text...
>          @dep before checklist = doc-linux-text
>          @dep after checklist = doc-linux-text
>          $output_size = 49686668, $size = 7814144
>
>Also my mirror was only updated at the end of June so I guess something
>there may have changed?

Could be, or task changes.

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer