Re: floppy install

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 06:32:15 +0200, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting James (james@onyx.nurealm.net):
>
> > So, where are these floppy install images?  Or do they exist?  Or is the
> > documentation just wrong?
>

> There are no more floppy install disks as things no longer fit on them
> for quite a while now. Sorry for this.

One could of course install Sarge, using images from here:

  http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/

and then edit /etc/apt/source.list and apt-get update ; apt-get
dist-upgrade.

A minimal Sarge install should be quick, and the upgrade should be
trivial, after which running tasksel should get one to the same place
as a normal install.

Is it worth mentioning this for future people hunting for floppy
installs?

James, if you try that, perhaps you could write-up any issues you bump
into, so that we could still offer a floppy install method, even if we
no longer try to cram the latest installer onto a floppy.

Cheers, Phil.