Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.general Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> But like lilo it stays out of unallocated (and therefore not backed up)
> sectors.  The boot block of extlinux is installed in the boot sector
> of a partition, and the second stage loader occupies a file within the
> partition.  It does not use the master boot record.  It relies on a
> master boot record program to chain load it from the partition boot
> sector.  (I use the mbr package for that.)

BTW, you can install grub exactly the same way. I usually do this because
I absolutely don't like the idea to install something as important as a
boot loader into unallocated sectors. Just do "grub-install /dev/sda1"
and Grub will adapt its installation procedure accordingly. It's a pity
that this isn't documented more prominently...

Martin