Re: A notice to the Debian Installer team...

[Nima Azarbayjany]
> I faced a problem in using Debian Squeeze recently which you should be
> aware of it by now but I'm writing you anyway to make sure it gets
> resolved sooner (if it is not yet).

Very good.

> The problem is that using the installer's default partitioning
> scheme nearly 5Gb is allocated to the /usr partition which now seems
> to be too small for a normal Debian system.  I have a fresh install
> of Squeeze on my laptop with only a small number of additional
> packages installed.  The version of the installer I have used is I
> think not the newest one which also installs recommended packages.

I suspect you were using the "multi" partman recipe, which specify the
size of /usr/ should be between 500 and 5000 MB, depending on the size
of the hard drive.

> Nevertheless, I have installed all updates and there is currently
> around 800Mb free space left on the partition.  Few days ago I tried
> installing KDevelop (the first KDE software to get installed) and
> its installation went smoothly except that I was prompted with a
> message that there is too low disk space left on /usr although there
> was still 200Mb or so free space on it.  The message kept popping up
> regularly.  I have now removed KDevelop and all KDE packages upon
> which it depends but this sure is problem which has to be taken care
> of given the larger number of packages installed by default and the
> natural growth of package and distribution sizes.

For your hard drive, how much space do you believe should have been
used on /usr/?  How big is the hard drive?

> If someone lets me know whether this issue has been resolved and
> what is the default partitioning scheme of the Debian Installer or
> where to fetch this information it can be of great help.  Thanks for
> your attention.

Personally, I always use LVM, which allow me to resize partitions
after installation.  It might be a good idea for you too. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen