Re: Installation on PowerBook G3

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 08:36:55AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 01 May 2010, Stefano Canepa wrote:
> >     I have an old Apple PowerBook G3 (prism/bronze) and I'm trying to
> > install Debian on it. I'm using a netinst CD dated 20100201. I tryed
> > many times but installer stops installing base system, every time at a
> > different percentage but when it stops the computer is completly frozen:
> > no input no output.
>
> Try switching to VT4 at the beginning of base installation. That should at
> least give us where it is failing and maybe why.

Last time it stoped on libc but other times it stoped installing other
packages.

> Also try activating the web server of the installer before base
> installation ("save debug logs" option). Maybe that will allow you to get
> the info after the hang.

I'll try tomorrow.

> It's almost certain to be an arch specific issue, so the powerpc porters
> are the best people to help solve it once you have identified the issue.

I askked on powerpc IRC channel, they suggested to reset openfirmware
and to look at VT4, as you. They also suggested to try an older version
but old stable freezes at a different percentage of the base system
installation process. I'm starting thinking of a disk or ram problem. To
use less RAM I tried lowmem installation.

Bye
Stefano

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: sc@linux.it - http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.