Configuring Boot.

Hello,

I'm trying a first time exercise, for me, here....attempting to mount a Lenny dist. onto a 32Gb Corsair flashdrive by way of a MS XP loaded pc.

Installation is fine until it comes to where the boot record is to be mounted, the installation programme not seeming to want to place it anywhere other than on the first IDE drive of the pc which is the property of an internet cafe and therefore not appropriate. The whole idea of having a flash drive is so that it's portable and I can plug it into any machine on the road, enjoying my O.S. of choice and cutting back on the degree of trace back, that is, privacy.

I've checked the onsite install manual which doesn't appear to have anything, tried various /dev/ style nomenclatures, but nothing seems to work.
I keep getting fatal error readouts.

Google doesn't seem to help either, so I thought I'd chase up the people that would have the specific knowledge.
I feel as though I'm missing something basic, here.

Any advice and trouble appreciated.
Regards,

Weaver.

--