Re: Switching g-i from DirectFB to X11

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:03:45AM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> There are general considerations about the user interface that were
> collected by Frans and reported to the archive. The concerns were also
> about size issues (because of l10n as there are a huge amount of
> strings that are potentially translatable).

The only remaining problem that has to be fixed is in xkb-data - for
many layouts an US variant must be added so the users get it as option
in the first question.

All other problems are either fixed or too difficult to fix.  The string
translations can be removed by simply using the following command:

rm /usr/share/console-setup-mini/kbdnames.gz

After this console-setup takes less memory than kbd-chooser (because
first, the strings are compressed, while the strings of kbd-chooser are
uncompressed in the debconf database and second, because the keyboard
layouts of c-s are compressed more effectively).

However, if d-i switches again to c-s, then c-s will require an active
maintainer who belongs to the d-i team, because I can not fix bugs
specific for the udebs or their interraction with the rest of the installer.

Anton Zinoviev