Re: Question about having an always clean base system in Debian Sid

On Thursday 04 February 2010, Geek87 wrote:
> I've been looking at debootstrap and cdebootstrap sources and the code
> is too complex for a non initiate like me. But it seems that the
> automatically installed state of the packages is kept
> in /var/lib/apt/extended_states. I don't know if we have to manually add
> an entry in this file for every package we install, or if we have to ask
> apt-mark or aptitude to do this for us. If a (c)debootstrap developer
> can answer me and try to explain me the functioning of the software or
> at least the big steps of the process, maybe I can try to patch it but I
> can't promise anything as I'm not an experiment coder.

That's not the issue. The problem is that by doing that you'd be
interfering manually with basic package management. You're most definitely
*not* allowed to directly edit files like /var/lib/apt/extended_states.

See also the other reply I just sent.