base-installer r53756 vs. console-setup

Hi,

I just rather belatedly noticed that r53756 breaks console-setup (or at
least will once we switch to it and console-setup is installed by
debootstrap).

  r53756 | joeyh | 2008-06-19 23:51:57 +0100 (Thu, 19 Jun 2008) | 10 lines

  redefine base-install.d hooks

  live-installer needs these hooks to run after the live system is copied in.
  base-installer can get by with running them after deboostrap, and the
  existing hooks will work ok if the system is already there.

  So, redefine the base-install.d hooks to run after the base system is
  extacted, but before the installed system is used in any way (such as
  using apt to install additional stuff).

console-setup-udeb has a base-installer.d hook that copies its
configuration into /target/etc/default/console-setup. If this isn't in
place when console-setup is configured in /target, then console-setup
will change the keyboard layout on the running system. Therefore the
configuration needs to be in place in advance. A base-installer.d hook
was the perfect place to do this; now that that facility has been
removed, the closest available approximation is a partman finish.d hook,
which is really not particularly correct.

Note that the live-installer hook ordering would not have been a problem
here, as that just copies the files over rather than unpacking and
configuring the package.

As far as I can see, from base-installer's point of view, this was just
for consistency with live-installer rather than to fix a particular bug.
Could we put it back the way it was, please? We could define
base-installer.d hooks as "before any package is installed with dpkg",
so it can be before bootstrap in a traditional install or after bulk
filesystem copying but before anything else in a live install.

Thanks,