Re: software speech synthesis in d-i?

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:16:05AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> I'm starting thinking about _software_ speech synthesis in d-i.  A
> simple solution would be to use espeakup, which connects the espeak
> software speech synthesis to speakup.  That would however depend on:
>
> - sound kernel modules
> - a libespeak udeb
>
> and the latter depends on
> - a libstdc++ udeb
> - a libportaudio udeb
> - a libasound udeb
>
> Does it sound reasonable to debian-boot and maintainers of the
> corresponding packages?  (I guess that will take a few MBs on the
> image...)

It's a shame that there seems to be no other viable solutions.  Having
C++ and PortAudio included in the installer really feels like an extra
burden to me.

Each new udebs is a source of extra work, and I am unsure if it would
make sense to add new ones just for this.  Is static linking out of
question?

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism