Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:25, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
>
>> That sounds fishy.  As I understand it, win32-loader can start the
>> installer from Windows, not needing a reboot (thus not needing BIOS
>> boot order reconfiguration either).  I doubt Windows stays running
>> during installation, rather it's replaced by the Debian Installer.
>
> That does not seem to make sense. Qemu or some such (if it runs
> on Windows) sounds more likely than unloading the Windows kernel
> on the fly.

Indeed, I was wrong.  win32-loader configures the Windows boot loader
to optionally start the Debian Installer (and also preconfigures some
settings like locale, timezone etc. based on the Windows settings).
So a reboot is still needed to actually start the installer, but
there's no need to boot from a separate device.

See http://goodbye-microsoft.com/demo.html or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H937zZidIZk for a video demo.
--
Sorry for the confusion,