Re: [net boot doc] please recommend atftpd instead of tftpd-hpa

On 02/02/2009, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
[...]
> Could you clarify what was the problem with tftpd-hpa? (behaviour/error
> message...)

Usability problem.
tftpd-hpa don't modify /etc/inetd.conf by default when it is installed.
Using the line suggested in d-i manual ("tftp dgram udp wait nobody
/usr/sbin/tcpd in.tftpd /tftpboot", at 4.5.3) to /etc/inetd.conf and
modifying it documenting myself, I was not able to make tftp working.
After that time spent trying to configure tftpd-hpa, I decided to
switch to atftpd.
The atftpd package set /etc/inetd.conf up correctly by default while
installing, and tftp worked for me.

I'm not saying that tftpd-hpa is bad, but only that atftpd is simpler
to use (because it sets /etc/inetd.conf up correctly by default).

> Do you think that some part of the documentation could be improved? which
> part/which step/what topic?

Yes.
At 4.5 (http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s05.html),
please substitute