Rescue Mode

Hi there,

I'm running Debian Squeeze on my laptop and had a question about booting.

I have to resize my primary/root ext3 partition to free some space for
the windows install (needed for work so can't be ditched) that this
machine dual boots. I've done this before but with a live CD which I'm
unfortunately about 400km away from at the moment. I've tried the
built-in "rescue mode" that shows on my grub menu but it wants to boot
my root partition which I don't want.

Can rescue mode be used without mounting the root directory? If not,
are there any pre-made debian boot packages that have a small
self-contained linux rescue environment builtin?

Thanks,

--
Drew

--Marie Curie