Re: Obtaining UUID's to use for grub

Am Freitag, den 25.12.2009, 12:18 -0500 schrieb vr:
> I'm using the amd64 flavor of the 503 netinst installation CD. In my
> case
> I do not have a network connection available during initial
> installation.
>
> Since there is no network initially, is it possible to acquire the
> UUID of
> a USB device, in human readable form, using only the tools on the
> netinst
> CD, so the UUID may be supplied to grub at the end of installation?
> And if
> so, how?

For the root= Linux parameter UUIDs are now by default used, especially
on a fresh new install.
If you mean for the GRUB root device, then you have to use GRUB 2.
Which with lenny means either install in expert mode or preseed
grub-installer/grub2_instead_of_grub_legacy with true.

Or if you really have to get it yourself for some custom boot entries
you make then just use in the installed system either
`grub-probe -t fs_uuid -d /dev/XYZ' or `grub-probe -t fs_uuid /path'

Doestn't matter what GRUB version gets used in that case, both depend on
grub-common which provides grub-probe.
--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer