Re: using d-i to install kfreebsd-i386 from usb

Luca Favatella dixit:

>I was thinking there was no need to prepare a special iso.
>Thanks for your clarification.

Well, no. ISO 9660 filesystem images are usually booted from CD-ROM or
similar media using the El Torito standard. However, when dd’d onto a
hard disc, CF/SD card, USB stick, etc. they are actually “superfloppies”.

The standard (I have Ecma 119 (= ISO 9660), SUSP, RRIP and El Torito here
as PDFs, they’re “freeware”) however specifies that the first 32 KiB of
an ISO 9660 filesystem image are empty and available for, for example,
bootloaders. The instructions I gave you will put the MirBSD first-stage
bootloader and GRUB 2 in there, it’s small enough that fits. Grml addi-
tionally pads the image and creates a partition table, so that you can
use the rest of the stick (AFTER dd’ing to it) as storage space, since
ISO 9660 filesystems are usually read-only. MirBSD uses ldbsd.com instead
of GRUB 2, which only differs by having a different load address, entry
point and stack segment/pointer, but also adds not only the partition
table but also a Sun disklabel and sparc bootloader in there (that one
was tricky, but works very well), as our CDs are usually bi-arch.

Hope that helps.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
«MyISAM tables -will- get corrupted eventually. This is a fact of life. »
“mysql is about as much database as ms access” – “MSSQL at least descends