Re: Status of Debian Installer for Alpha 1

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> [2009-11-23 19:44]:
>> Currently installer itself is more or less in a good shape however we
>> have two bugs that are blockers for this release. They are:
>>
>>  #557387 - Graphical installer is brokeness (cjwatson and/or lunar)
>>  #556635 - udev: blanks inserted RW media (fixed in GIT already)
>
> Is g-i really a blocker for alpha1?  I'd much prefer the fixed udev to
> be uploaded and an alpha1 release made now without g-i, followed by an
> alpha 2 that updates the kernel to 2.6.31 and adds g-i.

>From project POV g-i is not a blocker and it could allow some "bad
press" against GTK+ not bothering to support DFB backend. I'm not
against this option if other people support it as well.

>> Since we have a window until the graphical installer and udev issues are
>> solved I'm thinking about we move to 2.6.31 in d-i. I see following pros
>> in doing it:
>> The plan is to start working locally in the transition and if udev
>> and/or gtk+ is not ready when kernel is done then we start moving to new
>> kernel otherwise we go with 2.6.30 as is now.
>
> I'm not convinced that going to 2.6.31 now is such a good idea (since
> it always takes forever to get all arches updated), but since we have
> good 2.6.30 udebs in testing I guess putting 2.6.31 into unstable
> might not be such a big deal.
>
> In any case, 2.6.31 works fine on ARM and I can update 2.6.31 on ARM
> and MIPS quickly if we decide to go this way.
>
> Actually, 2.6.31 (-1 and -2) failed to build on powerpc (*sigh*), so
> going to 2.6.31 might not be an option anyway... Or can we keep the
> 2.6.30 udebs on powerpc and update all other architectures to 2.6.31?

Besides powerpc we also lack the modules and this does worries me
since it will take a while to get it done.

I'll update it locally here in my git tree and keep it around for
commiting it as soon as we decide to go with 2.6.31 or 2.6.32 (that
looks to be quite near now).

>>  21 Dec 2009: release
>
> So we're over 6 months late.  This is really frustrating.

Fully agree; and most of it is my fault. Let's try to avoid it happen again.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br