Re: debian

Hi Douglas,

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:50:18AM -0600, Douglas Peters wrote:
> sorry for contacting you directly, I am normally just and end user but was not
> able to find a proper way to submit this, as there is not a lot of info for
> debian on ps3 currently available.

In this particular case, the right mailinglist is probably the one where
d-i development is discussed: debian-boot@lists.debian.org

> Currently the daily build labled both 11-16-09 and 11-17-09 both hang
> at 37% on the installation of packages no matter what is selected.  I
> tried even unmarking all selectable sets, including base system and
> desktop system and got the same problem on both installers every time.

It would probably help if you could hit Alt+F4 at that point, which will
bring up the logs of what is happening at that time. It may be the case
that the installer is waiting for something, or that something broke, in
which case the logs will show that.

> The current lenny installer 5.0.3  errors when trying to connect to a
> repository. It says  no repository available for the current type.
> Sorry that isn’t an exact error phrase, it was late and I didn’t think
> to right it down.  I tried several repositories and had the exact same
> thing happen every time.

If you could please retry and indeed write down the error so we know
exactly what's going on, that would help in debugging the problem.

(if not, I'm about to swap my ps3 slim for my brother's older one, so I
can install Debian on it -- I'm sure I'll encounter similar issues then,
but of course there's no guarantee)

> All of the installers that I tried were the net install.
>
> Through a lot of searching I found the image located at  http://
> people.debian..org/~wart/ps3/mini.iso   and have had some success with
> it. the installer completes, and using kboot to directly boot the
> install with a kernel off of my USB drive has booted the system. The
> password and user account that were created during the install are no
> longer usable.  I formatted the drive before hand and it was a clean
> install so there should have been no residual install that it could
> have booted too.  Just in case I did try any password I could have
> possibly used and was not able to log in.  also I verified this all by
> re-running the installer 3 times and had the exact same problem.

Are you sure the keyboard setup went correctly? This is something that's
been in a bit of flux not that long ago, so it might be that something
broke there.

[...]
> First I want to thank you for supporting the ps3 enough to release a custom
> mini.iso for it, with out it I feel none of this would be possible at all.
>
> Second I want to ask if any of the features that are in the mini.iso,
> that make it able to complete on the ps3, are going to make it into
> the real ppc debian installer?

I hope to work on that once I have my Debian-supporting ps3. Then again,
I have many projects, so might not find the time. We'll see.

trying to fool the system.