Re: Avoiding display of console-setup dialogs during base-installation

On Sunday 15 November 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> I've just committed the following patch for kbd-chooser (which is
> currently responsible for installing console-setup). The patch sets the
> seen flag for the keyboard variant debconf question to avoid its display
> during base-installer.

Question.

How is console-setup currently supposed to determine the correct settings
when it is installed (and thus configured) in /target?

Otavio committed the change [1] that moved the installation of
console-setup from
- *finish-install.d* in localechooser
- *post-base-installer.d* in kbd-chooser

The mistake here may be that it was assumed that the D-I settings would be
available in /target, but that is not the case as those settings only get
copied to the target environment during the start of pkgsel.

So the result is that basically console-setup always gets installed with
its default settings...

No wonder users are complaining that they don't get the correct keymap set.
Pity that despite all the reports from users now nobody ever took the
trouble to diagnose this properly (or to test the change before
committing/uploading). It's pretty clear when you actually look into it.

The obvious solution would seem to be to move it back to finish-install.d,
but there's a problem. In hw-detect we apt-install acpi-support-base, so
that gets installed during base-installer. And that package pulls in kbd
which, if console-setup is not already installed, pulls in console-common
and console-data. Not sure yet how to solve this. Maybe we need a "late"
option to apt-install.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Yes, I did suggest the move to kbd-chooser myself, but not the move
from finish-install to base-installer. That really should have been
thought through more carefully.