Re: Not sure about recent change in tzsetup

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> However, it would then be even better to just drop the
> tzsetup/selected question and just ask time/zone of everybody, as I
> did in my UTC patch. Users in countries with one timezone would then
> simply get e.g:
> 			Europe/Amsterdam
> 			other

I'm not particularly well versed (understand: I don't know a thing)
about this field, but I have some opinion and questions, and you asked
for more discussion lately, so here it goes...

First of all, I find this discussion very interesting.  I empirically
settled to preseed my installations with debian-installer/locale=en_HU
and console-keymaps-at/keymap=us (I live and work in Hungary, but prefer
the UTF-8 English interface), because that gives me correct values for
time zone, mirror, locale and whatnot.  However, this isn't particularly
intuitive nor flexible enough in general.

It would be useful to make a list of "things" which must be set up by
the installer, and *then* conceive a set of questions and priorities,
from which these "things" could be derived.  (These relations could then
be mentioned -- at least to some extent -- in the templates, too.)  Once
the interested parties agree on these (perhaps not yet implemented)
relations, we can discuss the wording.

Is the installation language (together with its country variant) the
default locale (with which encoding?) of the installed system?  Do we
support no (C) locale?

As we can't rely on the administrator to dpkg-reconfigure locales after
installation to get other locales supported, supplementary locales have
to be asked, but with a lowish priority (like it's done now, I think).
The encoding part of the locale could similarly almost always stay the
default UTF-8.

I like the above time zone question, but I'd prefer just going with the
single choice if applicable (at least on high priority).

Same for the mirror selection (not sure about countries without a single
"dedicated" mirror).

I wonder what else is determined or defaulted by locale or time zone or
similar things, which should be discussed toghether with this bunch.
--
Regards,
Feri.