Re: The "clean out spam from archives" effort is lagging

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> As one can see on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SpamClean,
> this effort initiated by Frans back in April is lagging.
>
> Last 3 months of debian-boot archives have been reviewed by 3 persons
> only (Frans, Giacomo Catenazzi and me) and are thus missing at least
> two more people to review them so that spams are nominated...and can
> later be processed in the cleaning second step.

I did the most recent three months of 2009, but the density was pretty low.

> Old archives are also missing reviews, particularly a few from 2005
> and nearly all from 2004, not to mention older archives.

So I started at the beginning (part of 1998) and went to the end of
2002.  If I have time this week I will look at 2003-2005.

> Please take some time to do this work. This is not that time
> consuming: one month can be reviewed in about 10-15 minutes....even
> less when you're used to methods for spotting spams.

The work is pretty tedious and reviewing non-spam emails five time is
extremely inefficient.  Consider a solution that would allow one
person to scan the archive to generate a list of spam targets.  If the
other four reviewers only had to review the listed spam candidates
they would not have to waste their time reviewing non-spam.

-- Lee