Re: Possible typo in Debian Installation Guide (C.1 section)

On Sunday 25 October 2009, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > Without additional information I see no reason to change the current
> > text. In what circumstances would it be better to use a swap file over
> > a swap partition and why?
>
> Maybe only change the text a bit, to add a short information, that
> in some situations it may be possible/sensefull to use swap file
> instead of swap partition? Detailled information, in which situations
> this may be the case, is not to be included in the d-i manual IMHO.

That could be done by changing the second sentence to something like:
   It's possible to configure your system to use a swap file instead of
   a swap partition, but that is a rather unusual setup and not supported
   by the installer.

I'd still like more information before I do that though. The linked mail
only talks about performance issues, but there could be other reasons
(like suspend) why it's not recommended. "Not recommended" in itself does
not mean "don't ever use it". It just means "you'd better know what you're
doing if you decide to use it".