Re: grub2 error: grub loader is loaded not found

Am Sonntag, den 18.10.2009, 08:58 -0400 schrieb Lola:
> I have Lenny installed on an HP dv6871 laptop.  I installed Lenny in
> expert mode and went with a "tuned" kernel and grub2.  It runs
> oh-so-very-well ;)  I wanted to try Squeeze the other day so I imaged my
> root partition with partimage off the sysrescuedisc version 1.2.2..
>
> Restoring the partition yielded no errors. Everything restored, or
> so it appeared, but when I went to reboot Grub2 had an error:
>

> GRUB Loading.
> WELCOME to GRUB!
>
> Entering rescue mode...
> error: the symbol `grub_loaded_is_loaded' not found
> grub rescue>
>
> And there I sit knowing no grub2 rescue mode commands...
>
> Found a few things online but they weren't specific to this error.
>
> I booted a Lenny install disc into rescue mode and updated grub, no
> error but it didn't solve the problem either.
>
> Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?  I'd really
> appreciate it and I'll keep poking around online, too.

Even though debian-boot sounds like this mailing list would be for all
kind of booting problems, it's the developer list for the
debian-installer.

Well boot from a LiveCD, chroot to your installed system and run
grub-install with the right Liunx device where your BIOS boots from.
This sounds like MBR + embed core.img is out of sync with /boot/grub/
which can only happen if you installed GRUB the second time to a
different MBR then first.
See also http://grub.enbug.org/Grub2LiveCdInstallGuide

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer