Re: diff is now diffutils

Hi Santiago,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 08:17:23PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> The "diff" binary package has been renamed "diffutils". The diff
> package is now dummy and depends on diffutils, so nothing should break
> because of this change. However, you might want to adjust debootstrap
> and similar tools so that they don't install obsolete dummy packages.

Not related to debian-boot, but I've noticed an implementation issue with
this change.  The new 'diff' package only Depends: on diffutils, it doesn't
Pre-Depend; that means the new package is allowed to be unpacked during
upgrade before diffutils is, leaving a window when /usr/bin/diff is missing.
I think diff should Pre-Depend on diffutils, as we've done in the past for
other Essential package transitions.

Cheers,