Re: debootstrap .tar.gz

On Thursday 20 August 2009, Ryan Hughes wrote:
> Hi.  I just downloaded the debootstrap .tar.gz file from this url:
>
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0
>.10lenny1.tar.gz
>
> Apparently, it is out of sync with what the .deb has.  Fortunately, I
> had access to a debian machine and was able to get the contents I
> needed from there.
>
> In the .tar.gz, the scripts/debian directory contained only:
> potato  sarge  sarge.buildd  sarge.fakechroot  sid  woody  woody.buildd

No, that tarball is exactly correct. You cannot expect to download the
*sourcecode* for a package and find the same contents as in the package
*built from* that source code.
If you look closely at the contents of the real package, you'll see that
the "missing" releases are symlinks...

The correct procedure to install debootstrap on a non-debian system is
documented in the Installation Guide (section D.3.2):
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds03.html#id333446

Cheers,
FJP