Re: Bugs in the latest Debian Sid installer

Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 15:05:53 schrieb Uwe Bugla:
> Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 13:42:37 schrieb Uwe Bugla:
> > Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 08:22:54 schrieb Christian Perrier:
> > > Quoting Uwe Bugla (uwe.bugla@gmx.de):
> >
> > Hello Christian,

> > > We're in the middle of a transition to console-setup. console-data
> > > should not be needed anymore. Still, it's not expected that you end up
> > > with an unconfigured keymap layout. Does the installed system *have*
> > > console-setup installed?
> >
> > I did not find that out, so I guess the answer is "No"!
> >
> > > It should have picked up the settings you made, in D-I, for the keymap
> > > (in your case, I suspect you picked 'German') and, thus, you should
> > > have a working keyboard layout on the installed system.
> >
> > I have an unusable keyboard layout on the installed system,
> > unfortunately. After performing "apt-get install console-data" the
> > keyboard layout is usable, but without performing that step the usage is
> > a big pain!
> >
> > > In any case, "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" on the installed system
> > > should help.
> >
> > Sounds good, but is only helpful if you know that console-setup has been
> > installed or not. How can I find that out?
> >
> > I will set up a couple of other workstations and I will keep on
> > trying.....
> >
> > > But, still, that has to be investigated as this is obviously a big
> > > regression. I'm not in position to do so, being half-dialup as of
> > > now. Hopefully, someone else will.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, it would be good to mention this in
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/ConsoleSetupSwitch
> > >
> > > (Again, I'm not in position to do that right now....will try to
> > > remember later when online)

> > > This is by design, in order to keep the installer simple to use and
> > > not confusing to less experienced users. So, by design, the only
> > > configured interface is the one that's used for the installation of
> > > the machine.
> > >
> > > Users who want to configure more than one interface are indeed
> > > expected to be able to do it after the install, by the usual methods.
> > >
> > > We really don't want to have *any* owner of a modern laptop (that has
> > > two NICs) to be prompted for the setting of his|her two interfaces.
> >
> > I cannot share that point of view:
> > My position:
> >
> > Your point of view is fully OK for a standard install, no matter if
> > console- based or graphical, adressing rookies and beginners.
> >
> > My point of view should fit for experienced users using the expert
> > install, no matter if graphical or console based.
> > But simplification in any case, and thus disregarding the different
> > installer levels with their different sophistication is a point of view
> > or guide line that I cannot and will not share at all...

> > > Here again, this is much out of scope of the installer. It is left to
> > > the post-install polishing of the installed machine, when the
> > > machine's admin is supposed to be skilled enough to know how to do
> > > this.

> [...]

Yep,

and this is hopefully the last bug that I found in the current Debian Sid
installer (for a network testing install):

This installer does not seem to recognize serial mice.

I tested two serial mice on two different serial ports, and nothing happened.

Former Debian Sid installers did not have any problem with that!

Regards

Uwe