Re: UUID in fstab for device mapper devices?

On Friday 07 Aug 2009 19:58:46 Max Vozeler wrote:
> [Resend to @packages.debian.org]
> Hello fellow maintainers,
> we recently changed d-i (partman-target, to be precise) to use
> UUIDs in fstab in order to get stable device naming.
> Currently UUIDs are used for all devices except
>  - /dev/fd*
>  - cryptsetup mappings
>  - those specified by explicit /dev/disk/by-* paths
> Since then, we concluded that it is preferable to go back to plain
> /dev/mapper/ paths for LVM LVs because those already provide stable
> device naming (and are more descriptive).
> What about your types of devices? (dmraid, multipath)
> Should we refer to them by UUID or with the /dev/mapper/ paths?

Accessing device mapper devices with device id would be a safer bet.
Because for a use case, the multipathed LUNs are also used as raw devices by
many apps (oracle).

IMO, any block device which can be used without a file system shouldn't be
referred using UUID.
From my experience, referring device mapper devices by their device IDs has
worked very reliably and persistently in all cases.

Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
"Necessity is the mother of invention."