Re: Hammer Storage N1200 (HN1200) support

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:10:02AM -0600, Scott Edwards wrote:
> According to some research I have done, this NAS runs a Marvel SoC
> that's Arm9 based.  It's already running Linux.  According to some
> other sources, this vendor is under litigation over busybox gplv2
> violations.  It's not the only unit running on this chipset out there.
>  There appears to be two serial port headers, but I haven't had a
> chance to look into it deeply yet.

I've got no specific knowledge of this hardware, but the MV88F5182 is what's
in my D-Link DNS-323, so there shouldn't be much trouble getting Debian
running on this thing (to at least a basic degree).  I've pimped this a
bunch of times before, so apologies if you've already seen it, but if you're
interested in doing a Debian port (specifically d-i) to this hardware, take
a look at the guide I wrote about my experiences porting d-i to the DNS-323:

http://www.hezmatt.org/~mpalmer/blog/general/porting_d-i_to_the_dns_323.html

That might ease the learning curve a bit if you decide to dig into it.  All
things considered, it wasn't as hard as I was expecting, and it was a great
experience.  I'd do it again if I needed another NAS.

- Matt