Hammer Storage N1200 (HN1200) support

According to some research I have done, this NAS runs a Marvel SoC
that's Arm9 based.  It's already running Linux.  According to some
other sources, this vendor is under litigation over busybox gplv2
violations.  It's not the only unit running on this chipset out there.
 There appears to be two serial port headers, but I haven't had a
chance to look into it deeply yet.

http://www.hammer-storage.com/downloads/myshare/myshare_HardwareGuide.pdf
http://www.embeddedarm.com/documentation/third-party/MV88F5182-opensource-manual.pdf

In a little while I will pull the harddrives and replace it with a
test drive that I can experiment with.  So far I haven't found anyone
able to install anything but what the OEM provided on this.

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Scott Edwards
-- Daxal Communications - http://daxal.com/?from=debian-boot