Re: wait for the boot device

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Jul 19, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
>
>> Now that a kernel (and initramfs-tools) maintainer gave the
>> explanation you requested, how do you think we could proceed with
>> this?
>
> As I explained, I will consider this after I will have finished the next
> upload.

Sorry, I must have missed that.  Thanks!

>> I'd like to add that udevsettle calls are also needed in other package
>> scripts (LVM, multipath, etc.) and there's even a wait_for_udev
>> canned
>
> If you need udevsettle anywhere else than after running udevtrigger then
> something is either buggy or broken by design.

Really?  So is /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/mdadm
(from the mdadm package) wrong, or something else buggy or broken by
design?  I also experienced the need for udevsettle when booting from
LVM over partitioned multipath devices.  I thought it was the kpartx
invocation which I had to wait for before the lvm2 script.  I'd be
grateful for some advice on how to handle such cases properly.
--
Thanks,
Feri.