Re: [RFC] IMPORTANT: Cleaning l10n-sync damage from D-I SVN repository

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 11:28:06AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 04 June 2009, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:42:39PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > The way my cleanup works is that I remove all changes to the affected
> > > files made between revisions 55934 and 57133 (both inclusive).
> > > As a result of the cleanup the 'svnadmin dump' file shrinks by more
> > > than 2GB (!) and the repository database shrinks from 2.4GB to 1.7GB.
> >
> > Which sizes did you compare? The d-i repo still includes plenty of
> Current database versus reloaded cleaned database.
> > vdelta revisions from repository format <= 3. A dump/load cycle should
> > reduce the size anyway.
> Ah, that is possible. The other advantages remain though.

An easy estimate is the file size of the affected revisions in db/revs.

> > Working copies with references to this revisions gets invalidated.
> Hmm, yes that could be. Did not consider that.
> But what risk is there that there _are_ (m)any working copies that
> reference those revisions? The last commit I change was 08-01-2009, so
> most users should have 'svn updated' by now.

Really low, and the workaround is to remove the "broken" directories.

> > > Because of the way tagging in subversion works, it is not possible to
> > > do the cleanup and still keep the tagged versions exactly as they
> > > were uploaded (see below for affected package versions).
> > Please explain. A tag is just a copy, which can also include
> > modifications.
> A tag is a copy, but the files are not actually copied. So if I change the
> file in trunk in a revision before the tag, the tagged version of the
> file will automatically change as well.

You can change the file along with the copy operation.

> > > If we are agreed, I will pick a day to do the actual cleanup. During
> > > part of that day the repository will be blocked for commits.
> > There is not need to block anything. You can only change intermediate
> > revisions, so the top is not affected.
> I don't see how I could manipulate intermediate revs without rebuilding
> the database from the bottom up. What exact procedure are you referring
> to?

I thought again and realized that the internal ids will not permit this.

Another problem: does anyone use dumps with deltas? The hotbackup script
bundled with subversion does this.

Bastian

--
Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
		-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1