Re: "Unneeded" packages being installed

On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Sorry if this "issue" was already discussed and if this is not a
> problem, but when installing a basic Debian system (only the
> minimal system, without selecting anything when tasksel appears), I see
> that some packages are installed but don't see to be needed.
> For example (Lenny install):
>
>   libsasl2-2
>   libgnutls26

I checked these first two. Both have "Priority: important" and are thus
installed by debootstrap.

I also don't see why deborphan should report them. mutt depends on the
first and exim4-daemon-light on the second. Both are packages that should
be installed by default.

>   libgcrypt11
>   libtasn1-3
>   libgpg-error0

The same is probably true for the others. If any of them has "Priority:
standard", they are installed if you select the "Standard system" task.

> Also, probably there is an answer for this, but why are these packages
> also installed (and why are they necessary), please?
>
>   aspell
>   aspell-pt-br
>   aspell-pt-pt
>   dictionaries-common
>   ibrazilian
>   iportuguese
>   ispell
>   libaspell15
>   wbrazilian
>   wportuguese
>
> It's a minimal Lenny install too, with Brazilian Portuguese language
> selected.

That's the reason: the language task for pt_BR is installed automatically.
See last para on http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/apds02.html.en.
(Should probably also be mentioned in section 6.3.5.2.)

Cheers,
FJP