Re: [RFH] Update of Debian Installer for 2.6.29

Hi, Otávio.

On Apr 21 2009, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Most arches has 2.6.29 packages ready (AFAIK only hppa lacks them
> right now) and I also did most changes for all arches on SVN to get
> 2.6.29 updating as easy as possible. Now, we need porters' help.

Right.

> Please check your pet arch and update the kernel and modules for
> 2.6.29. This is quite important to us to start testing installer with
> this kernel.

Not knowing this, I was working with the upstream maintainer of the
rt2x00 driver (as I have a USB wireless card based on this chipset) and
it worked with some small problems with the 2.6.29-rc's.

I debugged some things working with the wireless-next git tree (or
whatever it is called) and it worked a bit better. IIRC, some
non-intrusive patches were introduced, but I don't know if they got
included in the final 2.6.29.

As I usually use my own compiled kernels, I don't know the status of the
Debian kernels (actually, I don't even know how the build process for
the kernel works in Debian), but I can test whatever is needed.

> So if your arch is not listed above, you should take a look and try to
> update it.

powerpc wasn't listed. What is the current status?

> If you can't do that in near future please speakup and we'll try to
> find someone to handle it.

I also expressed my desire to get oldworld working, so that I can build
my own "buildd" here, as some packages in Debian are dragging more and
more dependencies.

Getting miboot and miboot-enabled kernels would be a good thing. And I
can try to see how things are going if the kernel doesn't work...

Regards, Rogério Brito.