Re: ppc64 port

Hello All,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 April 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
>> On Tuesday 21 April 2009, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
>> > While digging through d-i, I've noticed some signs of ppc64 port
>> > (which was, as far as I remember, a heroic attempt to make a 64-bit
>> > userland Debian port).
>> > Do we actually need it and is anybody going to support/maintain it?
>>
>> It's been added in D-I on request of the ppc64 porters, but we have not
>> heard anything from them for the last 2-3 years. I've looked at the
>> ppc64 mailing list some time last year and to me it looked like the
>> initiative was completely dead.
>>
>> We've always made it clear that ppc64 would have to be maintained by
>> the porters. This has not been done. I currently see no keep ppc64
>                                            reasons to --^
>> support in D-I.

I fully agree that being a dead effort it should be droped from d-i
and code cleaned up.

>From what I see, Wartan has a nice global view of the requirements
and in case he can provide the required libraries in 64bit versions
I also see no reason to continue the development of it.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br