Re: wpasupplicant for all wireless ops? (was: Re: [Netcfg-Add-WPA-Support 0/3])

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:53:59PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> >  * NetworkManager is used on most distros (and Debian as well) for
> >    desktop installations. NetworkManager always use wpasupplicant for
> >    interaction with wireless networks so now both wpasupplicant and the
> >    drivers have been quite tested.
> >
> > Getting rid of our custom code dealing with the wireless sounds to
> > favor more commonly used software sounds like a desirable goal to me.
> >
> > What do other thinks?
>
> As long as networkmanager does not become a requirement. Installing a
> system using wireless should result in working networking both with and
> without networkmanager installed in the target system.

Sure, I was only thinking about netcfg internals. Configuring /e/n/i
should be done as it currently is, only installing wpasupplicant by
default if a WPA network was used for the installation.

(The later is currently not covered by Glenn's work IIRC.)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism