Re: Best way to install a new session manager

On Saturday 11 April 2009, Rick Thomas wrote:
> After installing from the default CD (e.g. "businesscard") I'd like to
> make other session managers than Gnome available. (e.g. xfce or kde).

For i386 and amd64 you can now select a different desktop environment from
the isolinux boot menu (with businesscard, netinst and DVD images). For
other architectures and installation methods you can pass the desktop=kde
parameter.
See: http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06s03.html#pkgsel

> What's the best way to do that so as to get all packages installed the
> same way they would have been had I used the associated install CD?

To install a specific desktop environment post-installation, you'll have
to tell tasksel which desktop environment to install using
   echo "tasksel tasksel/desktop string kde" | debconf-set-selections
and then run it.

Or just select the task(s) you want in aptitude after starting it with
'aptitude -R' (to avoid installing recommended packages, as D-I does).

Cheers,
FJP