Re: Suggestions for improving the (Xfce) Desktop install

On mar, 2009-03-17 at 19:49 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> [please CC me, I'm not subscribed]
>
> Hello,

Hey,

I'm (one of) the Xfce maintainer in Debian. I'll comment on this, but
I'm not subscribed either.

> I recently installed sid with desktop=xfce and some things I consider
> should definitely be there were *completely missing*. Since we are
> talking about Xfce all my suggestions will be about lightweight gtk
> apps:

I'm planning to update the xfce task, but I'm waiting for 4.6 to enter
unstable before.

> - infrastructure: hal (without hal no icon will show up for plugged in
>   removable media)

Yeah, we didn't want to depend on hal and dbus for Lenny, but this will
be dropped in Squeeze, so one way or another we'll bring hal.

> - GUI package manager: synaptic

Yeah, good idea.

> - image viewer: gpicview

The Xfce image viewer is ristretto, will be added.

> - pdf viewer: epdfview or maybe even evince-gtk

Yes, epdfview.

> - IM client: pidgin

Hmhm, I don't really want to add another package depending on gconf. Not
sure if there are some viable alternatives.

> Some other apps are pulled in via the generic Desktop task (AFAICT from
> aptitude), but a bit too heavy for a lightweight desktop:
>
> - openoffice.org -> for most uses Abiword + Gnumeric are enough

Too gnomish. And OpenOffice is OpenOffice, I guess it's supposed to be
there on a desktop install, though the user is free to remove it if
needed.

> - gimp -> gpaint

Same applies here, gimp is gimp :)
One stuff I'll have to think about, too, is the browser. I'd be glad to
drop iceweasel for midori once webkit is stabilized (especially since
midori is now officially some kind of an xfce project) but maybe the
user expects iceweasel to be there on a desktop task. That or we could
drop it from the desktop task and let every *-task define the preferred
brother (epiphany/konqueror/midori/…)

On mer, 2009-03-18 at 07:02 +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Andrei Popescu (andreimpopescu@gmail.com):
> > [please CC me, I'm not subscribed]
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently installed sid with desktop=xfce and some things I consider
> > should definitely be there were *completely missing*. Since we are
> > talking about Xfce all my suggestions will be about lightweight gtk
> > apps:
>

> Shouldn't this be discussed with Debian Xfce maintainers mor ethan
> tasksel maintainers (aka the D-I team)?
>
> In our POV, the content of the desktop tasks themselves is more up to
> the respective maintenance teams...

Good point, but the change need to be made in tasksel, so it's not
irrelevant to discuss that in tasksel lists. But maybe it'd be even
better to discuss that on a bug reported against tasksel? What do you
think Andrei?

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis