Suggestions for improving the (Xfce) Desktop install

[please CC me, I'm not subscribed]

Hello,

I recently installed sid with desktop=xfce and some things I consider
should definitely be there were *completely missing*. Since we are
talking about Xfce all my suggestions will be about lightweight gtk
apps:

- infrastructure: hal (without hal no icon will show up for plugged in
  removable media)
- GUI package manager: synaptic
- image viewer: gpicview
- pdf viewer: epdfview or maybe even evince-gtk
- IM client: pidgin

Some other apps are pulled in via the generic Desktop task (AFAICT from
aptitude), but a bit too heavy for a lightweight desktop:

- openoffice.org -> for most uses Abiword + Gnumeric are enough
- gimp -> gpaint

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. I guess these suggestions are valid also for LXDE
(Albert Einstein)