Re: Serious SCSI problem on Lenny networkinstall image

"letstry@home.nl" <letstry@home.nl> writes:

> Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> "letstry@home.nl" <letstry@home.nl> writes:
>>

>> [...]
>>
>>> Before you guys go ask the whole standard "chain" of questions about
>>> my SCSI setup, it might be nice to say that a debootstrap install of
>>> Debian 5 (via Ubuntu livecd) + apt-get update/upgrade produced a
>>> running system on both machines, without problems.
>>> So the problem might be fixed there.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> An interesting question about it is if you used regular Lenny kernel at
>> installed system and if it worked well or not.
>>
> Hi again list,
>
> Hmmm, while looking at the kernel sourcecode for both Qlogic and
> Adaptec controllers, it seems that timeout issues are causing the SCSI
> errors. They happen on the 486 kernel, while not on the 686 kernel.
>
> Files I looked at:
>   /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/drivers/scsi/qla1280.c for the Qlogic controller
>   /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_osm.c for the Adaptec controller
>
> It might also be interrupt related, but I'm stuck here.
> It's been a while since I looked at kernel code and programmed C (can still read it, more or less).
>
> I'll just wait for now.
>
> Is anyone else having the same SCSI problems with the debian-500-i386-netinst.iso network install image?

[...]

Please do a proper bug report to linux-2.6 and put all this details on
that. You did a great job checking all this and then you really found a
way to reproduce it in your system that allow us to "check" if it is
fixed easily.

So as you see it is a kernel bug and kernel team need to be aware of it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116