Re: Serious SCSI problem on Lenny networkinstall image

Otavio Salvador wrote:
"letstry@home.nl" <letstry@home.nl> writes:

[...]

Before you guys go ask the whole standard "chain" of questions about
my SCSI setup, it might be nice to say that a debootstrap install of
Debian 5 (via Ubuntu livecd) + apt-get update/upgrade produced a
running system on both machines, without problems.
So the problem might be fixed there.

[...]

An interesting question about it is if you used regular Lenny kernel at
installed system and if it worked well or not.

Hi again list,

Hmmm, while looking at the kernel sourcecode for both Qlogic and Adaptec controllers, it seems that timeout issues are causing the SCSI errors. They happen on the 486 kernel, while not on the 686 kernel.

Files I looked at:
  /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/drivers/scsi/qla1280.c for the Qlogic controller
  /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_osm.c for the Adaptec controller

It might also be interrupt related, but I'm stuck here.
It's been a while since I looked at kernel code and programmed C (can still read it, more or less).

I'll just wait for now.

Is anyone else having the same SCSI problems with the debian-500-i386-netinst.iso network install image?

Regards,

Jacco