Re: [RFC] Script to build installer from SVN

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> On Sunday 15 February 2009, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>> >
>> > Have you ever looked at scripts/buildscript?
>>
>> Yes but mine uses cowbuilder to do all the work also tries to catch the
>> architecture compatibility by itself.
>>
>> As I told, it is not yet ready but is already a good start and once I
>> have time again I plan to finish it.
>>
>> What cons you see about the use of cowbuilder?
>
> Why should I tell you about what cons I see? I've never even used
> cowbuilder myself. Why don't you instead tell me what's so wrong
> with 'buildscript' that it needs to be re-implemented?

The way buildscript does is completely different the way I was thinking
about doing it. The script calls cowbuilder to make all required stuff
in a chroot not messing with the machine where we're building it.

[...]
> One reason I did not want to discuss this privately is that I've never
> been convinced we should do this at all, for a number of reasons. So I'm
> really not all that motivated to look at your script at all, especially
> if there are no specific questions.
[...]

I don't intend it to be run at really regular basis but mostly when
we're preparing the release and we have it mostly "stable"; another good
reason to have it is to make easier to Christian to build images and
test languages.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116