Re: [RFC] Script to build installer from SVN

On Sunday 15 February 2009, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
> > On Sunday 15 February 2009, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >> The script itself is not yet (it still lacks debian-installer
> >> building) but it already does a good job for rest of packages.
> >
> > Have you ever looked at scripts/buildscript?
>
> Yes but mine uses cowbuilder to do all the work also tries to catch the
> architecture compatibility by itself.
>
> As I told, it is not yet ready but is already a good start and once I
> have time again I plan to finish it.
>
> What cons you see about the use of cowbuilder?

Why should I tell you about what cons I see? I've never even used
cowbuilder myself. Why don't you instead tell me what's so wrong
with 'buildscript' that it needs to be re-implemented?

You have a somewhat strange way of asking for comments/help:
- you don't say what your goals are
- you don't say what problems you're encountering that you need help with
  (if any)

One reason I did not want to discuss this privately is that I've never
been convinced we should do this at all, for a number of reasons. So I'm
really not all that motivated to look at your script at all, especially
if there are no specific questions.

Let me give the reasons why I don't think it is a good idea:
- ftp-masters are already not happy with source compliance for the daily
  builds [1]; this would be *a lot* worse for builds from SVN
- builds from SVN are a lot more likely to be broken than daily builds and
  it would need to be distinguished from all the builds we already have
  when users report bugs; so: extra confusion and who the hell is going to
  do the extra work that will result from that?
- if we have pending changes that are ready, someone should just take the
  responsibility for the upload (either a committer or someone else;
  IMO taking responsibility for the upload does however also include at
  least basic testing and staying alert for regressions)
- for getting translation updates, instead of building from SVN someone
  should just do more frequent uploads [2]
- it is extremely optimistic to expect translators to suddenly start
  testing installs just because their latest string changes are included

The *only* valid reason I can see to do a build from SVN is when a new
language has been activated and the relevant translator wants to see how
it looks. But in that case such a build can much better be done on an
ad-hoc basis.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] This came up during the meeting at FOSDEM; I don't fully agree with
them, but still.
[2] Of course I DO NOT mean an upload every time the French translation
team adds a cedille below a "c" (i.e: c -> ç), but if there are a
significant number of translation updates pending for a package, that's a
valid reason to do an upload.