Re: Support lxde-desktop properly in lenny D-I RC2?

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 01:41:13AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

>What we could possibly still do for Lenny is create an LXDE installation
>CD or, maybe better, change the current Xfce CD to support LXDE in
>addition to Xfce. As both are "lightweight", I would expect both of them
>to fit on a single CD.
>Main problem with the last option would be the selection of the desired
>desktop as we can only default to one and there is currently no support
>for interactive selection. So users who want LXDE would still have to
>boot with desktop=lxde, but would still have the advantage of having all
>packages on CD.
>That is, *unless* we were to hack the syslinux menus at CD build time to
>offer separate boot options for both.
>
>The needed changes would be limited to debian-cd and IMO should all be
>doable. First action would have to be a check of space requirements.

I think I'd be happier with a separate CD - many people are
downloading the CD#1 variants just to get their preferred desktop and
I'm guessing it's less likely to cause confusion if we keep each
targeted at one desktop only. It'll also allow for more useful
packages on that CD for people just using that one DE - the packages
for the other one are just going to waste space in that scenario.

How does that sound?

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back