Re: [RFC]: Install rescue-initramfs dialog

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 02:39:27PM +0200, Per Andersson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 02:00:04PM +0200, Per Andersson wrote:
> >> As a part of my GSoC project I am currently working on a
> >> piece of software that is called rescue-initramfs. If installed it
> >> installs dropbear (SSH), some filesystem tools, micro-evtd
> >> and uboot-envtools to the ramdisk. This enables people to
> >> login to their box even if the rootfs didn't come up properly.
> >> A typical use case is for users that have installed Debian on
> >> their NAS device and don't have a serial console attached.
> >>
> >> It would be useful for these users if they, during installation,
> >> could get a dialog asking them if they want to install
> >> rescue-initramfs.  So I ask, where should this go?
> >
> > Is there any reason why it should not be installed by default?
> >
> > We could always leave up to the administrator to remove the package if
> > such feature is really not desired.
>
> Most users of headless devices would probobly want it.
>
> So I'll create an udeb for rescue-initramfs which installs it
> during d-i and then put rescue-initramfs-udeb in
> installer/build/pkg-lists/network-console. Is that a good
> solution?!

No need for an udeb to simply install an usual .deb package in the
target system.  Using apt-install in hw-detect or any similar mechanism
should be enough.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism