Re: Debian bug #463123 still hurts me

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:05:21PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:

> I have a dual boot system, one is always stable and the other is used to
> try out things.  The bootloader is grub from stable (i.e. 0.97-27etch1).
> I installed Lenny-Beta2 in my try-out-system without overwriting the
> bootloader and added a menu entry to my stable's grub to boot Lenny.
> Obviously this fails because of #463123. :-(

I wonder if there is an easy way to tell if the bootloader installed
in the MBR (or in the first active boot partition, if you have the DOS
MBR installed in /dev/hda ) is capable of supporting 256 byte ext2/3/4
inodes.  If so, the installer could use this as a warning to install
the new grub installer --- or maybe the D-I should simply strongly
encourage the user not to bypass reinstalling the bootloader.

This gets very tricky, as the user may *want* to use the grub menu as
installed from their "primary" system.  I'm not sure there is a good
solution other than warning users.

						- Ted