Re: Multiple disks support for partman-auto-lvm

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Grégory Oestreicher wrote:
> I finally managed to write a more general patch[1] to have multiple disks
> support in partman-auto-lvm. It has been successfully tested on x86 with
> the three base recipes of the installer (atomic, home and multi) to
> prevent regressions, and with four homebrew recipes that show what you
> can do with it.
>
> This patch is based on the current (as of 2008/01/20) SVN version of
> partman-auto and partman-auto-lvm (the former needing only a minor
> modification).

This is a very much better proposal than your last one :-)

The patch is fairly big and will need careful review and testing, but at
first glance it looks like a good proposal. I really like that it includes
a structured extension to the recipe syntax.
We should certainly consider this, but as Christian already said, it would
be better to delay that until after the D-I Lenny Beta1 release.
We'll also need to update documentation for this.

Could you please send your mail again, but then as a wishlist bugreport
against the package partman-auto-lvm? That will ensure that the patch will
not get lost.

If you do, please fix one typo in the patch that occurs several times:
s/enveloppe/envelope/

Also:
+			if [ "X$pvdev_found" = 'Xyes' ]; then
The X is not needed. The shell handles empty variables correctly if they
have double quotes around them. Also, the quotes around "yes" are not
needed (as it is a single word and not a variable).

+			if [ -z $schemevg ]; then
+		[ -z $pv_devices ] && bail_out no_pv_in_vg
If these variables really can be empty then they definitely _should_ have
quotes around them. Basically any variable that can be empty or consist of
multiple words should be quoted, at least in tests.

Did you check the syslog for errors after your tests? Note that you will
have to finish partman before they will show in the syslog!

If after the release you think we have forgotten about your patch, please
send us a reminder!

Thanks,
FJP